1.23

Trial Expiration Date


Don't you love free samples?  There's also something special about the different packaging that some trial-size items come in.  It's really fun to try something knowing that you don't have to be committed to it forever.  In a trial run, we have the opportunity to just experiment and see if we like or dislike the idea, activity, or lifestyle.  It is important to have an open mind when going through a trial, and evaluate the many possible angles we can see.


For winter term, I have been going through a trial-run.  I've been swimming as much as possible.  I haven't been going in a sense of playing around or learning basic moves.  I've actually wanted to experiment and understand some average strokes of the swimming athlete.  Kyle, my friend, has been my coach (which he did an excellent job).  He has been part of his school's swim team and has been teaching me some of their techniques.  This way, I could get a better understanding of what swimmers go through.


In just an overview, I had so much fun getting into the pool more frequently.  At the basic level, floating around in a big container of water (or anything for that matter) is extremely entertaining.  Some days, many other friends came to swim around, play, and watch (& chuckle at) me.  Most of these days, we all came together to bond more, do something different than normal activities, and enjoy the extra time of winter term.  It was really a fun time.  


Here's my paragraph about the actual 'learning of a swimmer's technique.'  I know swimmers are a dedicated bunch of people, work extremely hard in what they do, and deserve the respect I have for them.  After working and learning just a little bit about the craft, I know swimmers are even crazier than I had previously imagined.  That chlorine really does things to them.  Swimming properly really is a workout.  I enjoy the feeling I get after swimming:  I feel refreshed, fit, and inspired.  Yes, I feel happy and inspired to do something after I swim.  Swimming is a good thing to do, but it takes dedication.


I did not quite master the butterfly stroke or diving (whatsoever), but now I have a reason to go back into the water and work to improve.  My favorite stroke, the backstroke, is unique and simply something different than the other forms of swimming to me.  I also learned and did something I never thought I would do: flip turns.  Whatever the style, I always watched swimmers during competitions and thought it was really cool that they could do that.  Now, I somewhat can flip after a quick 25m and continue on with my 50m-100m  (then gasp for air for a long time).  I finished my sets, and I am happy about that.  I am just happy that I accomplished this venture.


Will I get back into the pool? Yes.  How soon?  Like I said, I now know swimmers are even crazier than I thought.


Going through this trial was very positive.  I first experienced and learned something new.  I enjoyed myself and especially enjoyed my time with friends (thanks, Kyle, for your willingness and teaching me). I am glad I swam, I now am inspired to swim more often using my learned techniques, and I hope you are inspired to try something new for yourself.


We need more than knowledge.  True understanding can only come through experience.


     [BAM